Friday, August 24, 2012

Zucchini Chips


This zucchini is about 4 1/2 in around and was16 inches long.
So I left for a couple of days and forgot about my garden. You know what that means, HUMONGOUS zucchini. What do you do with humongous zucchini? Well, as far as I know you make zucchini bread, or zucchini muffins. But when you have a humongous zucchini it only takes 1/3 of it to do a bread recipe. Yup I still have lots 'o zucchini. Oh Pinterest!!!
Yes I turn to my faithful Pinterest to find a recipe that will satisfy my zucchini needs. Don't you? Well first Abby and I sat down and found this recipe. But, I didn't have the ingredients besides the zucchini.  But Abby kept saying "so? Lets see what we have." (I love my kid) So to the fridge we went. We found shredded Parmesan cheese and tomatoes from our garden.
MMMM!
So I sliced up the zucchini and the tomatoes sprinkled them with season salt and Parmesan cheese and stuck it in my oven (which is still on from the zucchini bread) 350* for 15-20 min. This is what we got.----> Can we say YUM!? The tomatoes made it, I think, but Abby says straight zucchini all the way.
You would think that after that yummy snack we would be done but OH NO not in the Johnson household. We go big or go home. Well... we are home but, you get the gist. LOL
So back to Pinterest we went. We were getting pretty good at this zucchini slicing thing so we decided to see if we could make chips. Of coarse you can! and oh man did we make some chips. Pinterest had a gorgeous picture but the link didn't work so I thought "what the heck" we will just fly by the seat of our pants and create another fabulous recipe.

Zucchini Chips
1/3-1/2 of  a Humongous Zucchini
1/3 c bread crumbs
1/3 c Parmesan cheese
1/2 t Italian seasonings
1/2 t parsley
pepper
sea salt

Combine bread crumbs, cheese, seasonings, parsley, pepper, salt in food processor. I used our NINJA, because its cool. And blend until it's crumbly.

 I used a mandolin with a wavy blade to cut my zucchini but I am pretty sure it would be fine if you just sliced them straight. 
I sprayed a cookie sheet with cooking spray. 
Then because I am lazy and didn't want to dirty another bowl I just took out the blade on my awesome NINJA and dipped the zucchini slices in till both sides were coated.
I put them on the sheet single layer. 

Then because my oven was still on 350*. I stuck them in. I checked them at 10 min but they still looked raw. At 20 min they looked FABULOUS!

I took them out and set them single layer on a paper towel in case of extra moisture.
They lasted about 2 minutes before Abby and I dug in. Super yummy. The ones that browned were more crispy and very yummy. But all were super yummy and the perfect snack.

*note when adding salt that the Parmesan cheese is already salty so go sparingly. Enjoy your ZUCCHINI! I know I am.

No comments: