Friday, June 8, 2012

AS Graduation

Okay so here it is...graduation. Yeah so it was a month ago but hey it has taken me that long to get my brain back.
Let me just say that school is one of my favorite things. Although... it has been one of the hardest things I have ever been through. I know I still have a long way to go but with this small hurdle out of the way I feel that it may be possible.
This last semester was...well...different. 4 of my classes were no problem but my math 1050 another story.
After being out of school for 15 years i was really nervous to get back to math. but, over the last year and a half I have really grown to like math and had some really great instructors. I was able to understand the material and aced all my classes.Within the first two days of math 1050 I felt like I was in another world; I was terrified. I started with an instructor who barreled into class just as it started, never asked questions, just went through problems on the board to himself with looking at the students, then as soon as the class was over he was out the door. He was Extremely annoying and kept saying "Yeah?" or "Yes?" but never waiting for a students reaction. I couldn't take it. I checked his grade stats from the previous semester and found out that all but 2 students had failed the class. NOT going to happen. I quickly found another instructor and begged him and the math department to let me switch classes.
The new instructor was great but the material was still the same. I really wondered if I had signed up for the wrong class. My new instructor was funny and wanted his students to achieve. He gave every possible type of extra credit to help boost your scores. It was great. I worked hard. I took 4 past finals to prepare for my final. I went into the final confident that I would do well.
When the test was handed to me I looked down and realized I had two hours and I didn't know anything on this test. I panicked. I had to have at least 60% it pass the class. And if I did.t pass I did,t graduate and I was scheduled to walk 3 days later. UGH!
2 hours and 5 minutes later I handed my test to the instructor and let him know that I was indeed terrified. I walked to my car choking back tears. When I got to my car I cried. I cried for two days. I couldn't function. It was terrible.
I emailed my instructor begging for him to email me the result of my final as soon as he had it.
How could I go through graduation with family there to witness me, the first in our family to go to college and graduate, without knowing if I truly had?
Wednesday 3:17pm, 24 hours before graduation I got an email...74%. WOOHOO! I screamed so loud and jumped up and down I am sure the neighbors thought something strange was going on at my house. Normally i would be devastated by a 74%, but if I passed I was happy!
I ended up with a B+ in the class and an overall 3.78 GPA. The graduation ceremony was...well...boring, and not really necessary. I mean I didn't receive my degree certificate just a lovely piece of paper that said...
My Dad and Val took Gabe, Abby, Colby, and I out to dinner at my favorite place, Johnny Carinos, and We had fun laughing and talking about whatever.

I am taking the summer off. Why? I don't know. We have no plans and no money. I should have at least taken one class. But, whatever. Fall semester here I come...

No comments: